Tuesday, January 6, 2015

Time to geek out


I mentioned previously my new gadgetry. One of my new gadgets is a Withings scale, which automatically syncs via wifi to an online app that also automatically updates MyFitnessPal. Sounds all cool and totally feeds my geeky side. But...I haven't figured out the best way to share my weight on here for "accountability". MyFitnessPal shows a trend line...cool, but not entirely what I prefer to share in a weekly weigh-in. I can't take an picture of my weight on the scale because I weigh naked and the new scale is SUPER reflective...and...well...nobody needs to see that...hell I don't even like the image. So the above screenshot from my phone may end up be my best choice. Alternately I could use this screenshot from MFP:


Both shows my trend line AND my current weight. Cool, eh?

Just understand that I'm an obsessive weigher...so all those little circles on the Withings chart MAY indicate several weighing's in the course of a week...or a day. Whatever.  :)

Many of my super-techy things have not been working super great lately...MFP has had a hard time receiving updates from my Garmin. The Garmin website has had an incredible number of issues (I'm guessing that there was a massive influx of new users with the passing of the holiday/new year and perhaps they had not beefed up their back end to ready themselves for the influx?), and the Withings scale is just plane taking some getting used to...between the multiple users and my floor having hidden little areas that cause erroneous measurements (I thought I had lost 4 pounds in one day on Sunday...I was so excited...but knew it was wrong). So if you ever try to go high-tech...be patient. It's not all as easy as it may sound.

My Garmin VivoSmart has been doing a great job of making me pay closer attention to how long I sit on my butt at work, and as a result I've been getting slightly more movement throughout the day as the movement reminder won't re-set unless you take at least 100 steps consecutively. So now I intentionally take much longer paths to the bathroom. I'm sure people wonder why I keep needlessly walking past their desk. But I do recall taking more frequent "walk breaks" during my weight loss phase early on in my lap band journey.

The really fun stuff to watch are my net calorie charts. I've been working out with my Garmin (which has a chest strap for measuring heart rate) and those also feed into MFP. I've set my daily calorie intake goal at 1000 calories and then I've been successfully working out every day except Sunday, so my net charts look like this:


You can definitely see how NOT working out on Sunday impacted my net. I also had the munchies that day, so that wasn't helping, to be sure. I wish there was a chart that showed calorie consumption AND exercise in a stacked chart, but from what I can tell so far, that isn't an option. I'll keep looking.

Anywho, all the gadgetry in the world isn't going to help me not eat sugar...so I've currently challenged myself to NO SUGAR till my birthday...or the St. Patricks Day 5k...both of which are mid-march. I'm pretty confident I can do this. In the mean time I'm following a Medifast/Ideal Protein/Early days after surgery-like protocol for my eating which has me keeping my calories around 1000 while getting 90-100 grams of protein a day...oooh...Another chart I can share:



All this to HOPEFULLY get some positive (and by positive, I mean NEGATIVE) action on the scale over the next couple of months.

By the way...has anyone tried Quest bars and chips? Expensive...but at 120 calories and 21 grams of protein, I've never felt less guilty about eating a serving of chips in my whole life!

2 comments:

  1. Cool gadgets, Mrs. Jetson. ;-)
    I can barely manage My Fit Bit(ch) and My Fitness Pal. Tracey

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Quest chips and the cookie dough bar. Very good. No GI distress and they don't taste artificial to me.

    ReplyDelete