THIS IS A GRAPHIC POST! YOU WERE WARNED!!!
I see the doctor on Friday…just wondering if others out there have any suggestions/input/ideas of what I should be exploring exactly with the doctor. At this point I’ve created the following list of symptoms to give the doctor. Nothing I research online is matching this exactly because I don’t have any bleeding (for ulcerative colitis) and I don’t have any cramping unless I take a laxative (which is a marker for IBS) so I just don’t know. I’m so tired of this…and I know I won’t get answers when I see the doctor Friday but at least we can start looking into the problem and maybe get some tests ordered.
• Regularity used to include 1-2 BM’s per day, usually in the evening at a minimum. I am now at several a day when I have diarrhea or one small amount every 4-5 days when I’m constipated.
• Alternating constipation/diarrhea (mostly constipation)
• Passing of mucus either alone or in stool
• Something white/light colored visible in stool (I was seriously starting to think I had a worm!)
• Urgency felt but sometimes not able to pass anything, or still feel need to pass something after having gone but not able to pass anything
• Long delay in passing foods (black beans took 11 days to pass, I only know this because I track all my food intake!)
• Extreme fatigue at times (possibly times associated with constipation?). The fatigues does not seem to have anything to do with quantity of sleep the night before, early morning exercise, early morning food consumption, early morning consumption of carbohydrates vs. protein. Fatigue is NOT daily. Some days I feel fantastic, others I can’t stay awake while speaking to people.
• This has been ongoing since early July
• The size/shape of BM has changed…more narrow now on a regular basis when I do finally pass something.
• During times of constipation the weight loss can slow/halt. However, it quickly resolves with a 2-3 lb. loss after evacuation (I know this is not the right way to lose weight, but I have to clear my system out eventually!)
• Full faster at times than others (this could TOTALLY be the band!), with right side mid-back discomfort if too much food eaten (my full signal)...seems more often during times of constipation (but I'm feeling it today, 24 hours after taking a laxative that doesn't appear to be doing anything except making me miserable)
• Some miner aching/gurgling on the left side of my abdomen (usually only after taking a laxative)
• Maybe gassy (but this might be associated with laxative use…I haven’t really tracked if it’s a problem outside of the times I use these.)
I take 1-2 fiber chewables daily, 2 stool softeners (due to another known issue – been taking these daily for over 3 years) daily. I’ve missed multiple days of work due to this issue. My biggest fear is this is somehow band related. I can’t imagine how (except for gastroperesis which perhaps is somehow being triggered by the band???). I have taken a laxative to resolve this issue 4-5 times in the last 3 months. Prior to this issue I would only use laxatives in advance of a surgical procedure, so this is a dramatic change for me. I’ve tried cutting out certain foods, the fiber pills and the stool softener with no change. I’ve also tracked with my cycle to see if hormonal fluctuations are at all correlated but I’ve not found anything to indicate any association.
Additionally, I drink a minimum of 60 oz of water each day and exercise 5-6 days a week, 1 hour a day. Everything I read online says to increase water, exercise and eat 4-6 small meals....well....I already do all that!
So...any input from anyone? Is anyone still reading after all that TMI detail??? Help!