Tuesday, October 11, 2011

GI Advice Needed – Again, GRAPHIC post! Poopy related!

THIS IS A GRAPHIC POST! YOU WERE WARNED!!!



I see the doctor on Friday…just wondering if others out there have any suggestions/input/ideas of what I should be exploring exactly with the doctor. At this point I’ve created the following list of symptoms to give the doctor. Nothing I research online is matching this exactly because I don’t have any bleeding (for ulcerative colitis) and I don’t have any cramping unless I take a laxative (which is a marker for IBS) so I just don’t know. I’m so tired of this…and I know I won’t get answers when I see the doctor Friday but at least we can start looking into the problem and maybe get some tests ordered.

Symptoms:

• Regularity used to include 1-2 BM’s per day, usually in the evening at a minimum. I am now at several a day when I have diarrhea or one small amount every 4-5 days when I’m constipated.
• Alternating constipation/diarrhea (mostly constipation)
• Passing of mucus either alone or in stool
• Something white/light colored visible in stool (I was seriously starting to think I had a worm!)
• Urgency felt but sometimes not able to pass anything, or still feel need to pass something after having gone but not able to pass anything
• Long delay in passing foods (black beans took 11 days to pass, I only know this because I track all my food intake!)
• Extreme fatigue at times (possibly times associated with constipation?). The fatigues does not seem to have anything to do with quantity of sleep the night before, early morning exercise, early morning food consumption, early morning consumption of carbohydrates vs. protein. Fatigue is NOT daily. Some days I feel fantastic, others I can’t stay awake while speaking to people.
• This has been ongoing since early July
• The size/shape of BM has changed…more narrow now on a regular basis when I do finally pass something.
• During times of constipation the weight loss can slow/halt. However, it quickly resolves with a 2-3 lb. loss after evacuation (I know this is not the right way to lose weight, but I have to clear my system out eventually!)
• Full faster at times than others (this could TOTALLY be the band!), with right side mid-back discomfort if too much food eaten (my full signal)...seems more often during times of constipation (but I'm feeling it today, 24 hours after taking a laxative that doesn't appear to be doing anything except making me miserable)
• Some miner aching/gurgling on the left side of my abdomen (usually only after taking a laxative)
• Maybe gassy (but this might be associated with laxative use…I haven’t really tracked if it’s a problem outside of the times I use these.)


I take 1-2 fiber chewables daily, 2 stool softeners (due to another known issue – been taking these daily for over 3 years) daily. I’ve missed multiple days of work due to this issue. My biggest fear is this is somehow band related. I can’t imagine how (except for gastroperesis which perhaps is somehow being triggered by the band???). I have taken a laxative to resolve this issue 4-5 times in the last 3 months. Prior to this issue I would only use laxatives in advance of a surgical procedure, so this is a dramatic change for me. I’ve tried cutting out certain foods, the fiber pills and the stool softener with no change. I’ve also tracked with my cycle to see if hormonal fluctuations are at all correlated but I’ve not found anything to indicate any association.

Additionally, I drink a minimum of 60 oz of water each day and exercise 5-6 days a week, 1 hour a day. Everything I read online says to increase water, exercise and eat 4-6 small meals....well....I already do all that!

So...any input from anyone? Is anyone still reading after all that TMI detail??? Help!

:(

5 comments:

  1. This is going to sound weird, but do you eat enough fat? I quit doing the low fat thing when I got severely constipated. Avocado has lots of fiber and GOOD fat - try eating that, or maybe a good stir fry in olive oil or something like that. Good luck and hope you feel better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. have you been on any antibiotics at all?

    My recommendation is to look for Acidopholis (sp) pearls. They can be found with the vitamins. They are a pill to help balance cultures in your stomach. They help with gas and constipation. But I started taking them after I was dosed with 53 antibiotics in 3 days after a serious infection. I had the mucus issue then as well!
    I also got it right after surgery and I swear it helped a whole lot! They are totally over the counter.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Amanda and Stephanie for reading through that post!

    Stephanie, I do eat regular fat items...I stopped buying anything low-fat after a couple books I read in 2007. But thanks for the advice. I will note it on my list of things to tell the doctor.

    Amanda, I have been on a couple antibiotics. Could the affects of those have gone on this long? I will add this to the list as a possible factor. I did start taking PB8 probiotics as of friday last week. From what I read it might take a couple weeks to start working. It would be fabulous if it was that simple!

    Thanks ladies!

    ReplyDelete
  4. sorry you're going through this girl - since being banded and adjusting my diet my BM's have gone to nice big soft "normal" once to twice a day to horrible experiences! lol there's NOTHING regular about me anymore! i think i need to take some fiber or something, idk. i just hope your doc can help you - I am so sorry you're having to deal with this! let us know how it goes!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Two things come to mind...
    1. Lactose intolerance
    2. Gluten sensitivity.

    Sounds more like gluten to me though. Google it and see for yourself. The 'dense' and odd colored stool is a strong marker. The pain in the ass is you have to go off gluten completely for at least 2 weeks to see if there's a difference.
    My bloating and gas/pain issues ended up being dairy related, but I did the gluten thing first with no change at all.
    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete