Thursday, June 23, 2011

Happy 6-Month Bandiversary to me!!!!

Today marks 6 months since my day of surgery. I am so happy with my progress to date and so completely satisfied with my decision to be banded.

 
Then: On the day of surgery I weighed in at 260lbs and wore a size 26/28. (My highest weight prior to surgery however was 298!)
Now: I currently weigh 220 lbs and wear a size 18/20 and even a couple 16’s!!!

 
Then: I didn’t ever exercise in the year prior to surgery
Now: I exercise 5-6 days a week, 40-60 minutes a day

 
Then: I ate generous portions at restaurants, always afraid that I would have to start an extreme diet “soon” and would “never” be able to eat that particular food again.
Now: I still order the same favorite restaurant foods, but ask for a to-go box immediately and eat ¼ to ½ of the serving. I also try very hard to be completely aware of the caloric repercussions whenever possible. I never have room for desert.

 
Then: In the year prior to surgery (not counting the months on Medifast right before surgery) I didn’t track the foods I ate and didn’t care about calories.
Now: I track calories 5 days a week and make more “conscious” decisions on the weekends (even though I choose to not track closely during that time). I now know that I probably took in about 3000 calories a day when I was not “caring” about my intake. Now I take in anywhere between 1000 and 1500 calories a day.

 
Then: For several months prior to surgery I was on Medifast, which was effective for weight loss but torturous on my digestion and hormones. My body does not like soy.
Now: I just sold the last of my Medifast products and enjoy eating REAL food with daily Whey protein shake supplements to keep my protein numbers high since I’m working out so much.

 
Then: I would eat fast-food 5-6 times per week
Now: I not only don’t have hardly any cravings for fast-food (although I do still occasionally crave a taco from Jack in the Box), but I also pack everything I need to get me through my work-day and it nukes faster and is 1/5th of the calories of anything I can get anywhere else, so I don’t bother! If I’m ever in a position where something fast is necessary, I really do consider calories before putting it in my mouth. Just because it’s high calorie doesn’t mean I don’t eat it though…but it does mean I make adjustments as needed.

 
Then: I would order a pizza once every 2 weeks or so, and could easily eat 3-4 pieces in a sitting.
Now: I make little mini pizza’s if I have a craving. The 200 calorie portions from Digiorno are PERFECT in a pinch. I have also discovered that you can make a delicious little pizza on one of those sandwich rounds. Higher in protein and fiber and lower in calories that way! I do sometimes miss the chewy crust and full flavor of my old favorite pizza. But if I don’t have several people to share it with, I don’t want to order it so I haven’t had it in 4-5 months now.

 
There are a FEW minor negatives as a result of being banded, but nothing that would make me change my mind about having it done.

 
  1. I did lose hair for a while, but that has finally stopped now. It was incredibly noticeable during showers and when I was getting my hair done. Not to mention the layer of fur the backs of my clothing would harbor. I would say it probably started sometime in February and finally normalized to a normal rate of hair loss in the last two months…thank goodness. I never had bald patches or anything, but the amount in the tub drain after a shower probably increased by 4 or 5 times the usual amount. It was disconcerting but it did finally end. For the record, my protein consumption has always been within the recommended range and I never took any specific supplement for hair loss, it did just end on its own. 
  2. My new “full” signal is a dull ache in my mid back on the right side. It’s totally bizarre and unfortunately does not start hurting until about 20 minutes after I have eaten “too much”…so it’s not a very useful full signal. This has become less cumbersome now that I am at my sweet spot because I can easily eat my appropriate portion of food and stop and generally speaking do not get the back-ache very often….but I do still get it occasionally. It’s not horrible…just annoying.
  3. My nose runs a lot now…runs more often after eating, but in general I go through more Kleenex now than I used to. I have no idea how it’s related, but I know it is. My sister, who is also banded, gets a runny nose after eating, too. She also gets what we affectionately call “the yips”…thank heavens I don’t get those. She keeps hoping I will but it hasn’t happened yet. I also sneeze ALL THE TIME…like 5-10 times a day. This is new…but not any kind of deterrent.
  4. I can still eat as many tortilla chips as I want. The band does not stop this in any way. That’s a little disappointing since those are my go-to munchie food. I have to learn to just avoid them. I still eat too many at a Mexican Restaurant. I probably would have lost more weight by now if I had never learned that they were easy for me to eat. :( 

 

 
But that’s it…those are all my negatives. Like I said, nothing that would stop me from doing it again.

I love my band!!!



Highest Weight - 298
Current Weight - 220 (Size 16 dress!)
 

 

 

 

 

 

 

7 comments:

  1. Congrats, and WOW. Great comparison shots. You are doing great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations!!! I'm so excited for you. You are looking amazing. Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Holy Balls you've done great!! Congrats on phenomenal success over the last 6 months!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's wonderful, congrats! I get a runny nose too, all the time, in fact I always carry Kleenex now, how odd, I just thought I was getting old!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awesome!!!


    You are looking fab girl!


    My Nose runs too. Insane

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's awesome, congratulations!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Whoo hoo! Congrats! What a transformation.
    I'v never heard of the nose running and what are the yips? I get hiccupps when I'm full.

    ReplyDelete