Thursday, May 21, 2015

179.8!!

Well it was after a nice morning...er...well...you know...but it counts dammit!

I haven't seen the 170's, in my blogulations...(yes, I made up a new word), since January 4, 2012. You can bet your sweet bippy I'm excited about this. I mean, I'm no saint. I ate 1/4 of an ice-cream pie yesterday, for goodness sake (more on that later)...but still...YAY!

To be fair...I had only consumed a total of 790 calories before consuming the ice-cream pie...so it wasn't the end of the world.

Yesterday was the 13th anniversary of the day I was left paralyzed from heart surgery to correct aortic coarctation. I actually had a rather severe coarctation that was repeatedly mis-diagnosed the first 28 years of my life. They literally looked in the wrong spot when they were evaluating my heart murmur and the high blood-pressure I had since I was 10 years old. But anyway...that's another story. I had the surgery to repair the coarctation on May 20, 2002 and woke up from the surgery paralyzed due to a spinal cord injury from a momentary loss of blood to my spine. We didn't fully know for several days that I was paralyzed though, as they kept blaming my "weakness" on my weight (I was 300lbs) and my body's reaction to anesthesia. Again...that's a whole other story. I probably should write those stories.

Anyway...as the years have gone on, I sometimes forget as this date draws near. But my best friend who was by my side in the ICU that day has never forgotten and always reminds me. I have very few memories from ICU...but her being there is one of them. Another one is me DESPERATELY trying to watch the final episode of Ally McBeal through my morphine haze...but I digress...

So in 13 years I have very much moved on with my life. My spinal cord injury was "incomplete", which meant that I had a decent chance of learning to walk again with braces or crutches, which I do...it took time, and I still fall, but I do walk. In general, there isn't too much in my life that my injury stops me from doing. I mean, there is stuff...but I still live my life...see...I made this little collage to celebrate my anniversary to post on Facebook:


And it was accompanied by some inspirational thing about it being my 13th anniversary and yadda yadda yadda and look how far I've come and blah blah blah.

And then in the next post I posted about how that was all well and good, but I wish I had the day off work or some cake or something to celebrate the day. Just being cute and jokey. And then I got up and out of bed and started getting ready for work.

Well...while I was getting ready for work, my husband, who gets home from work at 3am, woke up and said he was going to walk the dogs...at 7am? I was confused...but didn't think much of it. Lately I've been waking him up and he's not been able to get back to sleep. Anyway...I should have known something was up...because as I was on my way out the door to head to the office, the true reason my husband was awake was waiting for me on the kitchen counter:



That, folks...is a pie. My husband bought me and ice-cream pie to celebrate my 13th anniversary of my paralysis. He had them write "Happy Differently Abled Day"...which is funny, if you have our weird sense of humor...so I thought it was hilarious. Seriously...this was the greatest thing. I love my husband.

I did not eat the pie for breakfast...much as I wanted to. I didn't because I know that if I eat sugar first thing in the morning then I just want it all day long. So I held off. But...I intentionally watched my intake throughout the day so that I could delight in a healthy portion without guilt later in the day.

And I did. 1/4 of the pie.

I will not apologize for this.

Now...having said all that...today I went to Costco and purchased a size 12 pair of shorts that fit.

Granted...they are Gloria Vanderbilt size 12. And the Size 12 jeans from Old Navy in my closet from a couple years ago still don't fit...but still...it says size 12...and that's all I care about. So thhhpppbbbb.

I'm so mature.

Kismet update. I don't think we are going to get selected. No final word yet...but the fact that they are still looking at other possible homes isn't making me feel real optimistic. I'll be okay with this. I just would like to have a final decision.






2 comments:

  1. That's a great story. I mean...not great bc of all the medical issues and being "differently abled" but because you are inspirational and because your husband gets creative/humor points. And old navy sizes are bastards dudes. I hate their sizing, but I just go in and know I will probably have to buy a 14 even though I am a size 6...okay...I'm a size 12 but still. Damn it about kismet. But who knows how things will turn out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an awesome husband! I love how sneaky he is.

    I also LOVE that you planned to eat a bunch of pie. I do that too and it drives me crazy when people make it seem like you can never have splurge foods if you are losing weight or maintaining as loss.

    And YEAH for the 170's!

    But I didn't know your story and I am just flabbergasted. I hope you do write it down (and maybe post it here). It pisses me off so much that they blamed your weight for your condition. I'm glad you've recovered as much as you have. It doesn't seem to slow you down much.

    And Kismet...sigh. I agree it would be nice if they'd let you know.

    ReplyDelete