Wednesday, January 7, 2015

Some quick packaged food replacement reviews

I'm keeping things on the low end of calories (but hopefully high in protein) for a while, and utilizing some meal replacements to do it for now (I plan to return eating human food again at some point...just want a little help for now).

So far my plan is working, as cravings and hunger are WAY low, and "my expense to willingness to eat sugar ratio" is right where I need it to be.

With that said, the products I've tried so far that have helped me in this 2.5 month self-induced challenge...

Something new to me...Quest products.

Quest Chips, as mentioned previously, are a fantastic low calorie/high protein "salty crunchy thing" replacement. I would continue to eat these products outside of this current eating plan. I love the 3 flavors I have tried so far:
  • Cheddar and Sour Cream (I think this is my favorite)
  • Sour Cream and Onion
  • BBQ
I've seen others complain about the texture of these. My 2 cents...they aren't real chips. They aren't claiming to be real chips. And if you've ever had baked Lays, I would say they aren't that far off from those...but they totally fill a need for me. That "salty crunchy thing" need has never gone away for me, and I'm not very good at sticking to a single serving of regular chips. Now...if only I could find a tortilla chip alternative that is as suitable...that would be FABULOUS.

Quest Bars. Higher in calorie, but so far the 4 I've tried were very yummy and filling. Averaging around 180 calories and 20 grams of protein, I am repurchasing all the ones I've tried so far, including:
  • Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough (actually tastes a bit like cookie dough...and I've heard you can actually bake it into a cookie)
  • Cookies and Cream
  • Cinnamon Roll (I heated this in the microwave briefly last night...delicious!)
  • Coconut Cashew
Medifast is...well...about what I remember. I just received my full order yesterday but am currently eating a serving of the Ziti Marinara. They didn't have this last time I was on Medifast...it's not bad. It's not "oh my word, where has this been all my life" good, or "I'm gonna lick the bowl" good, but for 2 months, I can handle this...I think. It's not as bad (read as "overpowering soy flavor") as I remember the oatmeal/eggs/chicken soup being (I'm gagging just  thinking about them...and I did NOT order them this time around).

Sadly the Honey Mustard Pretzel Sticks are not as good as I remember. And I do vaguely recall they changed the recipe during my first go-round with this product line back in 2010 and I wasn't too thrilled then, either. I kinda wish I hadn't bought so much now that I know how good the Quest Chips are. But...oh well. They are still doable.

The brownies are still good. I had one of those last night. :)  I'm not sure if ANY of the Medifast products would make it into the permanent rotation...but the Brownies might.

I anticipate all the Medifast bars will be good...they always were decent before. There are just cheaper alternatives on the market. The advantage of the Medifast bars is that they are consistently low calorie. I can mimic that with any other market bar by cutting it in half...but my willpower is not that strong and the second half almost always beckons me. So I resorted to this.

*sigh*....oh the life of a girl just TRYING to finally get to goal!

Having my favorite salad for my "lean and green" meal tonight...and of course, another workout...as week 2 continues...




3 comments:

  1. Medifast and I are not friends. They give me GI distress and I just can't gag them down. Gotta try Quest chips. I'm still on at least one protein shake per day and I like Designer Whey for flavor and less yucky ingredients. It sounds like your plan is on track. Tracey

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had pretty significant GI issues on Medifast before as well...but for some reason I am willing to risk it for a limited time. I literally don't plan on doing this beyond March 13. I'm also hoping that by interspersing with Quest products MAYBE the GI upset won't be as bad...but I think that is a pipe dream. We'll see.

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete