Monday, March 14, 2011

Birthday Wrap Up and a Reality Check

I had a wonderful birthday weekend, starting with dinner and a comedy show Friday night, then a spa day with my girlfriends on Saturday where I got my nails done, sat in the 150 degree Charcoal and Sand rooms, and had a Korean Body scrub. Oh if only I were rich…this would be a regular part of my life. The body scrub would be at LEAST a weekly occurrence. I just love having this done…it feels amazing and your skin feels so baby soft for days afterward. Loved it!!! I think I should do it again when I lose my next 30 lbs. I was gonna say 50 lbs, but I don’t want to wait that long!

At the spa I had lunch with the girls where I ordered yakisoba and chicken. My second bite of the yakisoba noodles was WAY too big (my fault) and I had to stop eating for a few minutes to let it go down. Not “stuck”…just a slow motion trip to the stomach. I then spent the rest of the meal fishing through my noodles for the chicken and taking only an occasional SMALL bite of noodles…lesson learned.

After the spa we went out for Mexican to “re-tox” our freshly de-toxed bodies. Yeah…I can still eat way more tortilla chips than I should. These will continue to be a “red light” food for me (as we used to call it in my Weight Watchers days). However, I played a little “care free” because it was my birthday weekend. I ordered a grilled chicken quesadilla, ate half and took the rest home and ate it on sunday. I did decline ALL offers for “birthday beverages” this weekend…so I saved some unnecessary calories there.

After we got home from the spa we proceeded with a planned “clothing swap”. Several of us are shrinking out of the larger sizes though, so we had less of a swap and more of a “gathering of big clothes”. A few things were exchanged thanks to two of our friends that regularly wear 18/20’s. The mass amount of clothes we had left over is going to be donated to a clothing drive we are having at my office this week for some local programs designed to help people get the clothes they need to interview and hopefully get jobs.

Sunday was exactly what I planned. I slept in as long as I could…then did a hard-core workout, and then went to dinner with one of my dearest friends. We went to Applebee’s, which is NOT my favorite place to eat. We shared a spinach and artichoke dip appetizer (and decided that mine is WAY better and I need to make it soon), of which I ate a few tablespoons full…which is really high calorie. For dinner I ordered the ½ order of the Oriental Chicken Salad…and mostly just ate the chicken out of it since there wasn’t much lettuce but a whole ton of cabbage, carrots, almonds and crispy wonton noodles. I used about 1 teaspoon of the dressing provided. All in all, I’d say a “win” since the nutrition information suggested the ½ salad with dressing is 600 calories and I would bet I ate only 400 total.

We then shared the chocolate overload desert with ice cream. I ate 5 fantastic bites. I don’t want to know the calories…sometimes ignorance is bliss. :)

All in all, it was a perfect birthday weekend. I managed to get a workout in both Saturday and Sunday, although I’m still kicking myself for the “fail” on Friday. Oh well.

This morning the scale teased me with a 242.6…but when I grabbed the camera and got back on to take a pic, it was at 243.4. I hate that scale. LOL I sooooo badly want to get out of the 240’s before I go in for my fill next Monday. No reason in particular…just a personal goal. :)

And now for my “reality check”. Dinnerland posted this (Dinnerland: Back to basics-- how I'm doing) and I want to start regularly using it as a tool to evaluate myself and really be accountable for where I need to make some changes. As she did, I will use a 10 point grading system. I’ll check in with this once a month, probably about a week before a fill (like today) just to really get a sense for where I am and what next steps I need to take.

Rule # 1: Eat 3-6 small meals a day. Only eat when hungry, and skipping meals is ok.
BJ’s assessment: My nutritionist wants me at 6 meals a day, so I modified Dinnerland’s reality check to reflect that. I win at this about 95% of the time. My fail was last week when I had two solid days of unending “munchies”. However, for the most part, I’m rocking this rule. I’ll give myself a .8.

Score: .8/1

Rule # 2: Eat Slowly (Wait at least 30 seconds between bites) and chew thoroughly.
BJ’s assessment: FAIL…I’m eating SLOWER…but I’m not eating SLOWLY, and I don’t think I’m waiting 30 seconds between bites. I’m going to work on this over the next week.

Score: 0/1

Rule # 3: Stop eating as soon as you feel full.
BJ’s assessment: This needs work. Right now I stop eating when I come to the end of my pre-portioned container. Unfortunately, the back discomfort I get from “being full” takes about 15-20 minutes to make itself apparent. I need to find a better/earlier “full” indicator.

Score: .5/1

Rule # 4: Don’t drink while you are eating.
BJ’s assessment: PASS! I do this one! YAY!!!!

Score: 1/1

Rule # 5: Don’t eat between meals.
BJ’s assessment: Again, since I’m supposed to eat 3 meals plus 3 snacks, I have to look at this differently. Am I eating between meals and snacks….mostly NO…but I have my moments, especially last week. I’m not at a “sweet spot” yet that small meals make me not hungry for 3-4 hours. Unfortunately, I get hungry in 1.5-2 hours depending on how much quantity I ate in the previous meal. On the weekdays though, my meals are planned out with snacks…I’m just grabbing the snacks earlier than I think I probably should be.

Score: .5/1

Rule # 6: Eat only fresh food.
BJ’s assessment: If by this they mean fresh as opposed to “processed”, then I think I might have a huge win here. If they mean something else (like no leftovers), then it’s an epic fail. I’m thinking they mean the former. I cook almost all of my own food now. I rarely eat out (except this last weekend where I ate out a LOT), and I don’t use a lot of canned or frozen foods. I make my own chili, soups, salads and oatmeal. I do rely on protein shakes once a day though…but I do this so that I can get my workout in without having to worry about having a full stomach or having to eat after exercise, before I go to bed…I’m gonna say that is still a win.

Score: 1/1

Rule # 7: Avoid extremely fibrous foods.
BJ’s assessment: Win. I ate broccoli in my yakisoba with chicken on Saturday though…first time eating broccoli I think since being banded…had no trouble with it. It was only like 4 pieces though. I didn’t go crazy.

Score: 1/1

Rule # 8: Drink enough water during the day; avoid carbonated beverages.
BJ’s assessment: WINNER!

Score: 1/1

Rule # 9: Only drink no-calorie or very low calorie drinks.
BJ’s assessment: Since I hate drinking calories anyway (i.e., juice, soda), this is an easy win…add the fact that I didn’t have a single bit of alcohol over my birthday weekend, and I think I should get bonus points!

Score: 1/1

Rule # 10: Exercise at least 30 minutes a day.
BJ’s assessment: While I am not up to 30 minutes EVERY day, I am doing so well in this category that I am incredibly proud of myself. Since March 1, I have exercised 10 out of 13 days (with exercise planned for after work tonight). I think that is pretty freakin awesome, baby! February I did 15 out of 28. I’m working my way up! I know I’m not at the “30 minutes every single day” level…but I’m going to give myself a high score for being so close.

Score: .9/1

Total: 7.7/10

So I have some work to do…

2 comments:

  1. First of all, HAPPY BIRTHDAY ♥ Your weekend sounded perfect and I'm so glad you had a great time! Your swap sounds like fun also :)

    My scale is bi-polar like that also. I have a ritual. There is a tiny corner table in by bathroom by the scale. So I get up out of bed, tinkle, grab my cell, take off the clothes, get the cell phone camera ready, tap the scale, lay the phone down, weigh, then - grab-the-phone-with-lightning-fast-speed-while-sucking-in-and-trying-not-to-move-my-body - so I can get the first weight before it flashes off. Because if this doesn't happen, I'll gain 5 lbs. in 4 seconds ;)

    Yay to to you for getting your workouts in. Not only on the weekend but your birthday weekend! You Rock!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy birthday! It sounds like you're doing great!

    ReplyDelete