Monday, January 24, 2011

Oh…right…now I remember

I sometimes question my decision not to tell too many people about being banded. But then one of my friends says something that not only reminds me WHY I was being selective, but also makes me regret having included her in the list of people I shared it with. Yesterday she said that I “sure have been posting a lot about food” on my Facebook status’s lately, and how I’m “never going to lose weight if I keep eating the way” I have been according to those status messages. When I challenged her and said I hadn’t posted much of anything on FB about eating poorly, she came back with “oh yes you have, you should go read them”…so I did.
 
I knew I hadn’t posted much about eating poorly because for the most part I haven’t eaten poorly. But what she said got under my skin so bad that I HAD to go look at all my posts since the surgery. I had surgery December 23rd. Through yesterday, I have posted about food IN GENERAL only 13 times (not bad over 31 freakin days…and a few of those posts were regarding the same thing). Some of them were even about HEALTHY food choices, like when I was raving about the tortilla soup I was making (Tomatoes, onions, garlic, peppers and chicken broth…to which you can later add chicken and/or tortillas), or like when I chose to split a 100 calorie muffin with a friend, which would have been a great choice…but was made even better when I dropped my 50 calorie portion on the dang floor.

Why should I be chastised for saying something about Spaghetti (which incidentally, I have not eaten since November) or craving Tacos, or Pizza? Why do I have to have the freakin food police over-analyzing my freakin Facebook posts???

AND ANOTHER THING…just because I happen to post ABOUT food that SOME might not consider “diet”, doesn’t mean I’m blowing the weight loss effort anyway. I can have eggs and grits, pizza (right now…bread doesn’t bother me yet), Thai food and everything else I posted, as long as I stay within my calories and meet my protein goals…so suck it!

Yes…I might be a tad bit fired up.

I joke around with friends on FB, leave silly statuses about anything and everything. I update my status message anywhere from 2-8 times every day. I like to goof around, saying things like “Tonight I’m going to be with my friends WHILE icing my back…I know…hot, right? I’m too sexy for my icepack…” and “’Pajama Jeans, the fashion sensation!’”. Sometimes I post about situations that are going on that day that are happy/sad/funny/exciting….whatever. And sometimes the post includes food. Hell…I got a lapband, I didn’t have my stomach completely removed. I still eat, ya know! And how come she failed to notice the posts about my exercise habbits? I posted almost every day last week about having worked out…I don’t get credit for that?

I know I need to let this go, and I will. I’m not going to change how I post because of this…but I am going to change how I discuss things with her. The only reason I told her is because I wanted her boyfriend, a dear friend of mine, to know. She would have heard it from him anyway. But damn…I regret telling both of them now.

So annoyed with this issue that I’m actually going to post all the status messages regarding food since surgery and subsequently over-analyze them myself (please note that I’m leaving out the other 100 statuses that had NOTHING to do with food):

  • Dec 30, 2010 8:13 am “Love me some eggs and grits!” (my first day of eating mushies and my roommates boyfriend made me REAL grits…not that crapy instant stuff I buy)
  • Dec 30, 2010 6:43 pm “OMG…the delicious smells permeating through my house right now. Carrie…you sure you wanna move to SC? Can’t we all just stay here and he can cook for us a few nights a week???” (Roommates boyfriend made ribs…I was still on mushies and could only enjoy the fabulous aromas)
  • Dec 31, 2010 5:42 pm “Peyton just scored an escapee meatball…and people food gives him wicked gas. My dog is so sleeping in the garage tonight!” (Meatballs I was making for my NYE party)
  • Jan 4, 2011 9:11 am “Life lessons by Becki: “Some things should probably not be cooked in the nude. Spattering hot items may pose a threat to exposed body parts.” (I was making eggs and corned beef hash – corned beef spatters, by the way) 
  • Jan 4, 2011 10:08 am “I wish I had known today was National Spaghetti day…I would have planned a proper celebration.” (Mostly a lie…I couldn’t have eaten spaghetti that day…but all my friends know how much I love it, so I commented)
  • Jan 5, 2011 3:41 pm “Anyone want pizza? Cuz I do…need a pizza partner.” (Um…HELLO…HEALTHIER option for me to find someone to have pizza with instead of ordering for myself and eating the whole thing…the way I used to! And we didn’t get it that day…we waited till Sunday)
  • Jan 6, 2011 3:56 pm “Nachos for lunch with the girls may have been a poor life choice on my part. Did I mention I’m never eating again?” (Not one of my healthier choices…so there is 1 point for her)
  • Jan 9, 2011 12:38 pm “Wait…we did this wrong. You are supposed to have pizza while watching the big game on Saturday…oh well, tastes just as good on Sunday.” (This was the pizza I was craving 4 days earlier...and I stayed within my calorie constraints)
  • Jan 12, 2011 9:02 pm “Well I’ve burned enough calories for one day. I’m gonna go eat a snickers bar now…err…I mean go to bed. Goodnight!” (Yeah…that was a JOKE…I haven’t eaten a snickers in over six months)
  • Jan 13, 2011 10:40 am “Whatever happens at lunch today is Adrienne’s fault! I take no responsibility for my actions…claiming the Twinkie defense!” (We went out for Mac n’ Cheese…I kept to a 1 cup serving and counted it in my food log and all was well)
  • Jan 13, 2011 3:43 pm “Carb overload! Need caffeine, STAT! Zzzzzzzzzz” (Post-mac n’ cheese incident)
  • Jan 14, 2011 11:50 am “Thai for lunch with Alan….yummm! Can’t Wait!” (Ate ½ cup of Pad Thai and took the other ½ cup home. Counted it in my food log)
  • Jan 15, 2011, 11:16 am “Leftovers for breakfast…delicious!” (Ate the leftover pad thai and again, counted it in my food log)
  • Jan 16, 2011 12:54 am “Dude…I could totally go for some tacos right now” (Note the time…I had a craving…but didn’t do it. Was too lazy to go get tacos at 1am)
  • Jan 17, 2011 12:14 pm “Today’s menu includes an AUTHENTIC Mexican Tortilla soup, courtesy of my sister and her Food Network obsession…nummy nummy nummy…its almost like I really know how to cook. :)” (Totally healthy)
  • Jan 17, 2011 1:27 pm “My house smells delicious. You should come over and smell it with me…..mmmmm!!!!” (It was the totally healthy tortilla soup process making my house smell so fab)
  • Jan 19, 2011 3:14 pm “I opted to split a 100 calorie mini-muffin with a co-worker…and promptly dropped my half on the floor. Is this a sign?” (First of all, I knew the calories of the muffin, which I think is a win to begin with…second, I still opted to split it in half…and third, I didn’t even get to eat the damn thing…so yeah…not an unhealthy eating post.)

So…I guess she has a point. ONE POINT…and that’s all I’m giving her credit for.

Now if you will excuse me, it’s almost time for my Tuna with mayo and 5 Ritz crackers lunch. If you would like to know the nutrition information, I’d be happy to post that. 

 
//end rant

1 comment:

  1. We call them food police. You can't let them get to you. Unfortunately, sometimes when you decide to share band information (or even that you have started a diet) some people take that as a license to "help" us by policing our actions whether they be eating, exercising or whatever. I try to block them out. This is why only 4 people know about my band (including my mother and husband). And, unfortunately, my mother does sometimes think she is my food minder. makes me crazy.

    hang in there.

    ReplyDelete